History

Historic Schoolhouse built in 1899

Historic Schoolhouse built in 1899

In 1957, St. Anne’s Episcopal Church purchased the parcel of land at the corner of now named Northside Drive and Moores Mill Rd.  On the property was a red brick building, built in 1899 as a schoolhouse, which was remodeled into the first church.  But the original purpose of that historic building, the oldest still standing in the Buckhead area of Atlanta, foreshadowed things to come.  Nine years later, the church began the mission of the Day School and welcomed the first class of 13 preschoolers in the Fall of 1966.

First Preschool Class, 1966

First Preschool Class, 1966

St. Anne’s Day School has been a thriving mission of the church ever since.  In 1978, Janet Reinertsen became the Day School Director and reaffirmed the school’s commitment to the highest standards of quality for early childhood education.  Mrs. Reinertsen learned of the world-renowned preschools and infant toddler centers in Reggio-Emilia, Italy, at a conference in 1994.  She was intrigued with how the values of the schools in that Italian municipal system resonated with her own beliefs about young children’s learning.  Thus began a journey of studying the Reggio-Emilia Approach.

Day School building 1966-2000

Day School building 1966-2000

Day School building 2000-present

Day School building 2000-present

In 2004, Dr. Margie Cooper invited St. Anne’s Day School to become a member of Project Infinity, a collaborative school development project supported by the non-profit organization that Dr. Cooper founded, Inspired Practices in Early Education, Inc.  This invitation signified an important milestone in the Day School’s continuing evolution and marked a genuine school-wide commitment to interpret the values of the a Reggio-inspired philosophy in the context of St. Anne’s Day School.